The Arc Memorial Sculpture Memorial Description: The Arc Memorial honors the journey of migrants in the years following World War II, where millions of people were seeking refuge and had departed for Australia. An army camp in Bonegilla was transformed into a migrant reception and training centre where new arrivals lived while they were processed and allocated jobs. Former residents and their families are invited to purchase a plaque which can be mounted onto the memorial sculpture. ... Read More
Panel 1 Borderland The 1819 Adams-Oñis Treaty fixed the boundary between the U.S. and Spain at the Arkansas River, formalizing a centuries-old convention - the Arkansas had always been a border. Neighboring Indian tribes fronted tensely on this crucial waterway, whose wealth of resources (water, timber, pasture, game) were essential for survival. The colonial powers, too, jostled for control of the river, which came to represent the proverbial line in the sand. Any breach drew the fiercest... Read More
The monument consists of two contrasting sets of sculptures. One depicts an impoverished, gaunt family, and the other depicts a well-fed prosperous family. These statues, and the eight commemorative plaques that accompany them, seek to tell the story of the Potato Famine and Irish immigration to America.
Erected circa 1860 by Theresa and Constantino Botto. Originally a Granary. Saloon for Central Eureka Miners Through the 1920’s. Second Wood Story Torn Down in the 1980’s. Placed by Janet Friedberg, Botto Descendent. Amador County Sesquicentennial 2004
Bourbonnais Grove’s first families came from Quebec’s Upper St. Lawrence Valley in the 1830s and ’40s to settle what would become the largest 19th century French-Canadian agrarian village in Illinois. Some immigrants moved on to found St. Anne, St. Mary, L’Erable, and Papineau. In 1865 Viateurian Fathers established St. Viateur College. The Letourneau Home Museum, Maternity V.B.M. Church and surviving Viateurian buildings are memorials to these French Canadians who were an influential part of... Read More
Bridget Lockman Smith and her husband John, immigrated from Ireland in the 1850’s following the Irish potato famine. They settled in Mine Hill with other Irish immigrant iron mine workers in a section then known as Irishtown. By the time Bridget purchased this double house in 1879 for $300, John had been killed in a local mining accident. She was living on one side raising two children while renting the other side to another Irish “widow of the mines” with six children. This historic site... Read More
North and South Broadway were originally part of Newburgh Township, organized in 1814 as one of the earliest settlements in Cuyahoga County. The contruction of the Ohio & Erie Canal and later railroads led to industrial and commercial growth, including the establishment of steel mills. This prompted a large influx of European immigrants. These immigrants built the cottages typical of the neighborhood as well as churches and national halls, most of which still serve the community. Two... Read More
Front Across the street you can see the Marie H. Reed Community Learning Center. It opened in 1977 on the former sites of Morgan Community School and Happy Hollow Playground. Both the Adams and Morgan elementary schools became "community schools" in the 1960s. Their curricula and policies were controlled by locally elected residents with the cooperation of the D.C. School Board. The schools also provided important social services. The new Reed Center followed suit with a public... Read More