Memorials

Photo89693.jpg
The earliest Anglo settlers of this area came to the vicinity in the 1840s. They called their community Post Oak Island for an isolated oak grove between Bastrop and Circleville. Many of these pioneers had moved on by the time Swedish and Danish immigrants arrived in the 1890s. Swedish-born August Smith owned a store which straddled the line between Bastrop and Williamson counties. Smith opened the Type post office in that store in 1902, probably naming the community for the printing machine... Read More
This is a garden with paved walkways and courts intended to celebrate Ukrainian descent in Cleveland. There are statutes/busts for Lesya Ukrainka,  Ivan Franko, Grand Prince of Kiev Volodymyr the Great, and Taras Hryhorovych Shevchenko. There have been people of Ukrainian descent in Cleveland since the 1880s and by the 1940s they were over 30 thousand strong.
Photo316962.jpg
From the populated villages of Ukraine to the unsettled regions of North Dakota, the Ukrainian immigrants came here at the end of the 19th century. They emigrated from the “Bread Basket of Europe” to the virgin sodland yet untouched by man – from a region of warm climate to an area where long winters lay life dormant. Yet within a span of a lifetime, they developed here in Dakota a farming empire undreamed of by man. The Ukrainian Pioneer Cross is dedicated to these hardy men and women. June... Read More
Photo26019.jpg
The first block Ukrainian settlement in Saskatchewan was established in 1897 when 180 families arrives in the Canora district from western Ukraine. Ottawa had specified that earlier Ukrainian immigrants first settle in Alberta and Manitoba. Canora became a center where the Ukrainian culture and language are still kept alive. Thus, many people know Canora as a Ukrainian town. The distinctive dome on many churches in the area are a lasting feature of this settlement.
Unsung Founders Memorial
The memorial consists of a black granite table supported by 300 miniature bronze figurines.  5 small seats of black stone surround the table.  
Located on UNC-CH campus at McCorkle Place
Photo346886.jpg
This site was the center of the earliest and largest Swedish community in Florida. Located here were the Scandinavian Society Lutheran Church; its cemetery; and a meeting house, which also served as a school until 1904. In May 1871 thirty-three Swedish immigrants (twenty-six men and seven women) arrived under the sponsorship of Henry S. Sanford for the purpose of developing his citrus groves (St. Gertrude, which extended from what is now Central Florida Regional Hospital south to Third Street... Read More
Photo401022.jpg
Front The charming Victorian rowhouses you see along 18th Street are an Adams Morgan signature. But they were nearly lost in the 1960s in the name of progress. During World War II, thousands flooded Washington to work for the government, seriously overcrowding existing housing. Afterward, planners and citizens considered how to repair Washington's beaten-down neighborhoods. In Southwest, they chose wholesale "urban renewal." Nearly all of Southwest was razed for new... Read More

Pages