There are two sculptures facing each other, but from a distance. On one side there is a sculpture of a man sitting down and a woman on her knees. They are both extremely skinny and have on inadequate clothing. There is also an empty bowl sitting right beside them. The man doesn't have a shirt on and both figures look overall very rough. The woman is also on her knees with her hand in the air giving the impression that she is praying. On the opposite sculpture there is a man, a woman, and a... Read More
Patrick Ronayne Cleburne, the son of Dr. Joseph and Mary Anne Ronayne Cleburne, was born March 17, 1828. At the age of twenty-one he immigrated to the United States. He settled in Helena in 1850. The Son of Privilege Patrick Ronayne Cleburne was born into an Irish Protestant family of high social standing. His father was a prosperous doctor in County Cork and young Patrick received an enviable education. When Patrick was fifteen, his father died. Against his wishes, Patrick was apprenticed... Read More
[Marker Front]: Thousands of Irish immigrants came to Columbus to seek personal and religious freedom. With the "Great Hunger" in Ireland and the completion of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the National Road, immigration to Columbus increased in the mid nineteenth century. They initially settled in the north side of the city in the swamp flats, where inexpensive land was available and work could be had on the railroads. Settlement spread to Franklinton, on Naghten Street, later known as... Read More
This memorial commemorates the struggle and pain of those Irish who fled their homeland in the face of a hunger of catastrophic proportions. It celebrates their courage that forged an enduring link between Ireland and America.
The bronze monument, which was sculpted by artist Glenna Goodacre, is the centerpiece of a 1.5-acre park designed by award-winning landscape architect Pauline Hurley-Kurtz. Dedicated in 2003, it was built to commemorate the 150th anniversary of An Gorta Mor, the Great Hunger, and to recognize the contributions of the Irish to the city, state and nation.
The bronze statue "The Italian Immigrants" was commissioned by RUDOLPH TORRINI in 1972. This statue is in memorial to the Italian immigrants who immigrated to St. Louis, MO in the late 19th and early 20th century. "The Italian Immigrants" is located in the now Italian-American neighborhood called The Hill. This memorial is owned by the Hill 2000 Association and resides on the corner of Marconi Street and Wilson Avenue, next to the Catholic church, a prominent area of The Hill.
Attracted by economic opportunities to be found here, a large number of Italian immigrants came to Galveston in the 19th century. In 1876, they formed the Italian Mutual Benevolent Society (Societa' Italiana di Mutuo Soccorso) to provide assistance to fellow immigrants. The society purchased a plot of land in Calvary Catholic Cemetery in 1888 and built this mausoleum, known as the Italian Vault. The structure exhibits Gothic style influences in its buttresses, gargoyles, and Corinthian... Read More