Baltimore’s vibrant and diverse neighborhoods evolved to accommodate a constant influx of newcomers searching for opportunity. Between 1830 and 1917, more than two million immigrants landed in Baltimore, which was second only to New York as a port of entry for many years. Most new arrivals promptly boarded the B&O Railroad and headed west, but many stayed to work in the city’s growing industries. Irish, German, East European, Greek, and Italian immigrants added their customs, religions... Read More
Pioneer Monument
This California State Park is located by Donner Lake and centered around the Pioneer Monument. This bronze memorial depicts three settlers looking West, and stands atop a 22 foot stone pedestal erected on the on the site of one of the cabins used by the infamous Donner Party during the winter of 1846. The park has recreational activities and a visitor's center with a museum chronically the history of the area from the time of the Native Americans to the modern day.
English: On June 6, 1899, some 2,275 Doukhobor immigrants were forced to disembark at Grosse Île. Several cases of smallpox had been observed aboard the Lake Huron since its departure 23 days previously, thus compelling the complete disinfection of the steamer as well as the vaccination and medical surveillance of all passengers. More than 7,500 Doukhobors arrived in Canada that same year, followed by other small groups until 1912. These immigrants fled the political and religious repression... Read More
William and Margaret Dowling built this impeccably maintained Craftsman style apartment building. It included luxury amenities such as chandeliers and built-in breakfronts in the dining rooms, laundry service and a dumb waiter system. Margaret Dowling, who lived here until her death in 1962, was a tireless advocate for the well being of institutionalized, elderly, immigrant and poor people, through her service on local, state and national Catholic and social welfare organizations. Designated... Read More
Dred Scott
This is a plaque in the Florence Walk of Honor that honors Dred Scott.
Dedicated July 1, 2000 Du Roc House Added Station July 1, 1861 – Nov. 20, 1861 by PW Pipe James Stretesky Norman & Ann Root County of El Dorado American Suzuki Motor Corporation Pony Express Trail Association Sponsors are listed at the bottom of the base. [Rear Side of Marker:] The “Du Roc House” was only 175 feet due south from this monument on the road from Sacramento to Placerville. Starting on April 3, 1860 the Pony Express used this route between San Francisco and St. Louis,... Read More
Nearby is the mass grave of fifty-seven Irish immigrant workers who died in August, 1832, of cholera. They had recently arrived in the United States and were employed by a construction contractor, named Duffy, for the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad. Prejudice against Irish Catholics contributed to the denial of care to the workers. Their illness and death typified the hazards faced by many 19th century immigrant industrial workers.
Dutch immigrants after 1850 began moving to this area because of its similarities to their homeland. They helped to locate ditches to drain water from the extensive marshes, leaving rich land to expand successful horticultural activities.