Memorials

Photo90351.jpg
Among the Swedish immigrants who settled in Decker in the 1880s were many seeking freedom from the Swedish State Church. The immigrants held meetings in homes and schoolhouses, and organized the Decker Swedish Evangelical Free Church. Joseph Ek Johnson and his wife Charlotta (Mork) deeded land in 1892 on which a church building was erected and this cemetery was established. Charles Smith served as first Pastor of the church. As the congregation grew, a Sunday School and Ladies Society were... Read More
Photo56095.jpg
In memory of those who lost their lives during construction of the Delaware & Raritan Canal. From 1830 to 1834, an army of ditch diggers, carpenters and masons - many of whom were Irish immigrants - built the canal. Large numbers perished during the cholera epidemic. It is believed that they were buried along the route of the canal. This stone from Lock 13 at New Brunswick. Dedicated in 2001
Photo54799.jpg
Begun in 1832, canal follows Delaware River to Trenton then New Brunswick. Built by Irish immigrants, canal fell into disuse with advent of railroads in 1850.
Photo141342.jpg
Many of the European immigrants who came to this country at the end of the nineteenth century brought with them a variety of epidemic diseases including cholera, typhus, smallpox and bubonic plague. This posed a serious threat to urban areas such as Wilmington and Philadelphia. The Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station was established here at Cape Henlopen by the Federal Government in 1884 to protect these cities by examining all immigrants for contagious diseases. Immigrants who showed signs... Read More
Photo125017.jpg
In 1888, David Schenck, searching for battlefield artifacts, found the upturned bones of three unidentified soldiers on a farm north of the park. From buttons found in the grave, supposedly marked “USA,” Schenck concluded that the deceased were American Continentals killed in action. The location of the soldiers’ remains suggests that they were part of Kirkwood’s Delaware company, on the right flank of the first line. In contrast to the first line’s militia, the Delaware troops were seasoned... Read More
Photo281982.jpg
Historic Building Otto and Lina Demmler built this in 1887. Otto, a German immigrant started a floral business in 1885 with his brother Edmund and built six greenhouses for the business, which were located south of the house. Otto died in 1927 and his wife Lina in 1943. The home was owned by members of the Demmler family until 1998 and the land where the greenhouses once stood, became a city park in 1992. Designated January Third Two Thousand
Photo77434.jpg
In 1848, immigrants from Langeland, Denmark, seeking economic opportunity and plentiful farmland, settled in this vicinity. The Danes purchased land here and called their early settlement "Copenhagen," later changed to Denmark. In subse­quent years, German, Irish and Czech immigrants joined the Danes, and Denmark grew to be a prosperous farming and trading community. After a railroad line reached Denmark in 1906, the area became an important center for Wisconsin cheese and dairy... Read More
Sorenson, Asia. "150314-M-AS123-001." Marines Media Gallery, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, 18 Mar. 2015, https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Photos/igphoto/2001026426/
Memorial statue dedicated to Admiral George Dewey at the center of Union Square in San Francisco, California
dignity_2.jpg
Dignity is a 50 feet high statue located in South Dakota in the US. It is a gift from Norm and Eunabel McKie of Rapid City to celebrate South Dakota's 125th anniversary of statehood. This sculpture was designed by Dale Lamphere to honor the cultures of the Lakota and Dakota people.
Photo400443.jpg
The landscape of Historic Jonestown reveals four centuries of American History. From 18th and 19th century landmarks to vestiges of an immigrant past, from signs of 20th ceentury decline to a bold 21st century rebirth, its streetscapes tell an epic story of urban change and diversity. Prominent Americans once lived here alongside ordinary people who strove to find their place in "The Promised Land." From the 1790s to 1830s, the neighborhood housed a vibrant mixture of wealthy elites... Read More

Pages