Cassimus House
The Cassimus House is a registered private property under the National Register of Historic Places dedicated to the first Greek immigrants in Montgomery, Alabama. The builder of the house, Speridon Cassimus known as the "father of the Greek community" was one of the first Greek immigrants to the state. The Greek communities in the state have little or no physical heritage dating much earlier than the early 20th century, when their churches were built; and the Cassimus House is possibly the... Read More
[Left plaque]: Last of a series of forts which, from the Dutch ssettlement of 1624, guarded lower Manhattan, this structure was built by the United States in the years 1808 to 1811. It was first called "West Battery," and was one of the important defenses of New York Harbor during the War of 1812 period. Named in honor of Gov. DeWitt Clinton in 1815, in that year it was made headquarters, U.S. Third Military District. From 1816 to 1820 Gen. Winfield Scott was in command. The... Read More
Edward Smith, William Taylor and Oliver P. DeWolfe of Cedarvale Kansas laid out this community in 1908. Hundreds of homesteaders arrived on immigrant trains. Most farmed pinto beans, shipping their crops to distant markets. In 1917 the community successfully petitioned to build a large schoolhouse. The WPA added classrooms and a gym in 1935-1936. In the 1930's drought and depression substantially reduced the population.
ainu .jpg
Cenotaph specifically memorializing the Sakhalin, Russia roots of the Ainu people in Japan. Located in the city of Ishikari Hachiman cemetary. 
Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Español was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while supplying social privileges and death and injury benefits. Financed by stock pledges of $10 each by the original 186 Charter Members, the society opened the first club building in June 1892 on land purchased by Ignacio Haya at 16th Street and 7th Avenue. The... Read More
Centro Español de West Tampa has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1974
Prominent lawyer, business executive, and civic and political leader, Margiotti was appointed Pennsylvania Attorney General, 1935-1938, by Governor George Earle. He was among the first Italian Americans to hold such a post in the United States. He was the Republican candidate for Governor in 1934. He practiced law in Pittsburgh and donated services to defend immigrant workers. A native of Punxsutawney, Margiotti is interred here at Calvary Cemetery.
Built in 1897, by Charles Hoya (1848-1926), son of Prussian immigrant Joseph T. Van Der Hoya, and long-time Nacgodoches County surveyor. Designed by Houston architect Frank E. Rue in Victorian style with the Gothic revival details, this was the first fireproof building in Nacgodoches and served as a model for other local structures. After Hoya's death, the land office business continued under the management of son-in-law J. Roy Gray, until his death in 1966. Recorded Texas Historic... Read More
dragons to bring rain, prosperity and friendship More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these painted and carved dragons are fitted together like a giant jigsaw puzzle in the ancient Chinese building tradition of "gong" balancing. Seven roofs of weighing nine tons each are cantilevered, with no nails almost 50 feet above the street. This is the... Read More
Chronicles the complex history of the Chinese in America, from early days of trade to the history of Chinese immigration, including the Chinese Exclusion Act.