Edward Smith, William Taylor and Oliver P. DeWolfe of Cedarvale Kansas laid out this community in 1908. Hundreds of homesteaders arrived on immigrant trains. Most farmed pinto beans, shipping their crops to distant markets. In 1917 the community successfully petitioned to build a large schoolhouse. The WPA added classrooms and a gym in 1935-1936. In the 1930's drought and depression substantially reduced the population.